North Dakota Parole Board Mission
The mission of the Board is to conduct informed and fair hearings on cases subject to the jurisdiction of the Board and take appropriate action to ensure public and victim safety and to reduce the likelihood of future criminal behavior of people by providing opportunities for rehabilitation.
The members of the North Dakota Parole Board are appointed by the Governor for a term of three years. During the Fifty-Sixth Legislative Assembly the Parole Board was expanded from three to six members, three serve at each monthly parole board meeting. The members are as follows:
Mr. H. Patrick Weir
Mr. James Prochniak
Ms. Jennifer Thompson
Mr. Jackson Lofgren
Dr. Carmelita Lamb
Parole Board Meeting Dates for 2018
|January||9 - 10|
|February||6 - 7|
|March||6 - 7|
|April*||3 - 4|
|May||1 - 2|
|June||5 - 6|
|July||10 - 11|
|August||7 - 8|
|September||11 - 12|
|October||9 - 10|
|November*||6 - 7|
|December||4 - 5|
Pardon Advisory Board: Tentatively scheduled for April 3 and November 6. For more information regarding the parole board contact Pat Bohn at 701-328-6664.
The Pardon Advisory Board became effective on August 1, 1997. Prior to that the board was known as the Pardon Board.
The Pardon Advisory Board with concurrence of the governor has the authority to grant the following: Commutation, Conditional Pardon, Pardon, Remission of fine and a Reprieve.
The Pardon Advisory Board makes recommendations to the governor, and any action taken is not official until signed by the governor.
The Pardon Advisory Board is not an administrative agency as defined by the NDCC, and is not subject to the Administrative Agencies Practice Act.
The governor appoints the board members, but by statute the Attorney General is one of the five members, as are two members of the Parole Board. The other two members are appointed at large. At the present time the board members are:
- Wayne Stenehjem, Attorney General
- H. Patrick Weir, Chairman of Pardon Advisory Board
- Mandy Maxon
- Dr. Carmelita Lamb
- Bev Adams
The Pardon Advisory Board meets two times a year (April and November). The meeting dates for the year 2017 are:
Pardon Advisory Board Dates: April 4th and November 7th.
Cases eligible for Pardon Advisory Board review are individuals who have committed a crime and were convicted in a North Dakota court of law. (Excludes federal offenses, traffic offense and tribal offenses.)
For more information, review policy or contact Patrick Bohn at 701-328-6664.
- Offenders in the DOCR custody (inmates) or on parole or probation supervision with the DOCR.
- Inmates who have no legal remedy through the Parole Board may be eligible for review by the Pardon Advisory Board providing that review does not conflict with any provisions of the policy.
- Persons not in the custody of, or under the supervision of the DOCR.
- The applicant must have encountered a significant problem with the consequences of the conviction or sentence (e.g. inability to obtain or maintain licensures or certifications necessary for employment.)
- In very limited circumstances, the Board may consider applications from individuals who present a compelling need for relief as a result of unusual circumstances not otherwise specified in the above eligibility criteria.
Complete Pardon Advisory Board application and submit 90 days prior to each board by either mail to address below, fax 701-328-6780 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also include a copy of the criminal judgment and criminal information or complaint for each offense for which you seek relief. You may obtain these documents from the clerk of district court in the jurisdiction in which your conviction occurred.
Clerk, Pardon Advisory Board,
Division of Adult Services
P.O. Box 1898,
Bismarck, ND. 58502-1898